A Portuguese man has pleaded guilty to arranging a “sham” marriage between a Nigerian man living in Bradley Stoke and a Leicester-based Portuguese woman.
José Castanheira, who admitted accepting cash for arranging the wedding, pleaded guilty to the crime at Bristol Crown Court on 10th September.
Investigators from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) said that they had found no evidence that the ‘husband and wife’ ever lived together after their 2007 marriage.
The couple have failed to comply with bail conditions and are currently being sought by police.
Read more: Sham marriage fixer pleads guilty (UKBA)
Last 5 posts in General News
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021
- Thousands of crocus bulbs planted to mark success of polio eradication project - 11th January 2021
- Covid-19 outbreak at Bradley Stoke primary school registers 62 positive cases - 22nd December 2020
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom autumn update - 16th December 2020
- Bradley Stoke scarecrow trail hijacked! - 7th December 2020