A Portuguese man has pleaded guilty to arranging a “sham” marriage between a Nigerian man living in Bradley Stoke and a Leicester-based Portuguese woman.
José Castanheira, who admitted accepting cash for arranging the wedding, pleaded guilty to the crime at Bristol Crown Court on 10th September.
Investigators from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) said that they had found no evidence that the ‘husband and wife’ ever lived together after their 2007 marriage.
The couple have failed to comply with bail conditions and are currently being sought by police.
Read more: Sham marriage fixer pleads guilty (UKBA)
Last 5 posts in General News
- Local student's 'hero' word art drawing to be raffled for charity - May 11th, 2020
- Lake desilting project: Further details released - May 10th, 2020
- [Letter] What are they doing to our town centre? - March 4th, 2020
- Local mum and son team become published authors - March 3rd, 2020
- Councillors overruled: McDonald’s and Starbucks drive-throughs allowed on appeal - February 26th, 2020