A Portuguese man has pleaded guilty to arranging a “sham” marriage between a Nigerian man living in Bradley Stoke and a Leicester-based Portuguese woman.
José Castanheira, who admitted accepting cash for arranging the wedding, pleaded guilty to the crime at Bristol Crown Court on 10th September.
Investigators from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) said that they had found no evidence that the ‘husband and wife’ ever lived together after their 2007 marriage.
The couple have failed to comply with bail conditions and are currently being sought by police.
Read more: Sham marriage fixer pleads guilty (UKBA)
Last 5 posts in General News
- Bradley Stoke Library reopens for browsing - 25th October 2020
- ‘Autumn in the Stokes’ photo competition launched - 17th October 2020
- The scarecrows are coming to town! - 14th October 2020
- Woodland paths set for improvement - 8th October 2020
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom 2020 Best Front Garden competition: The winners - 14th September 2020