South Gloucestershire Council has opened a public consultation on proposed casualty reduction measures for the Patchway Brook Roundabout on Bradley Stoke Way (adjacent to the Aldi store).
The purpose of the scheme is to reduce the number of personal injury accidents involving cyclists and motorcyclists at the roundabout, which joins Bradley Stoke Way, Pear Tree Road, Brook Way and Bowsland Way.
For the three year period 2008 to 2010, eight personal injury accidents were reported to the police as having occurred at the roundabout. Of the eight accidents, seven involved either a cyclist or motorcyclist. Five of the accidents involving a two-wheeled vehicle occurred when a car driver either entered or exited from the roundabout and collided with a cyclist or motorcyclist travelling around the roundabout.
The following measures, designed to reduce accidents involving two-wheeled vehicles, are proposed under the scheme:
- Reducing the width of the circulatory carriageway around the roundabout whilst retaining two traffic lanes around the roundabout;
- Installing cycle symbols at the entrances to the roundabout to remind drivers to look out for cyclists;
- Installing an additional yellow box marking at the exit to Brook Way.
The consultation runs until midnight on Thursday 29th September 2011 and the Council says it will publish the results by 1st October 2011.
The scheme is also likely to be discussed at this Tuesday’s meeting of the South Gloucestershire Cycle Forum, which takes place at Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre (6pm to 8pm).
Subject to the comments received during consultation, the scheme is scheduled to be implemented in the current financial year.
A separate consultation on the installation of a raised table at the zebra crossing on Pear Tree Road (near Holy Trinity Church) is also currently in progress. The end date for that consultation is Monday 19th September 2011.
Last 5 posts in Transport
- Woodlands Lane roundabout resurfacing set to start on Thursday - 16th September 2020
- Advance booking now available on T1 bus service - 10th September 2020
- Summer roadworks ‘lock-in’ for the Stokes - 9th September 2020
- Changes to bus routes and operating frequencies from Sunday 6th September - 5th September 2020
- Rabbit Roundabout works nearing completion - 2nd September 2020