South Gloucestershire Council is running a second consultation on its proposed road safety improvements for Bradley Stoke Way, in the vicinity of the Willow Brook Centre.
The latest consultation, which runs until Wednesday 8th February, invites comments on the new toucan crossing that is proposed to replace two uncontrolled crossing points that were the sites of two serious road traffic accidents during 2011.
The new light-controlled crossing will be situated approximately midway between the two existing crossing points and new guardrails will be installed to deter pedestrians from crossing the carriageway away from the new toucan crossing.
There is still no news on the outcome of the first consultation on the overall scheme, which ran from 20th December 2011 to 8th January 2012. The Journal has learned that “seven or eight” responses were received but the Council has so far not found the time to give personal replies or publish an analysis of the results on its website.
Cllr Brian Allinson, SGC’s executive member for planning and transport, said last year that work on the new measures would start in March 2012 but that schedule now appears to have slipped by at least a month, with the Council now saying:
“Depending on the results of the public consultation and advertisement, the scheme is programmed to be designed in this financial year (2011/12) with a view for implementation in 2012/13.”
Last February’s accident left a 10-year-old cyclist with life changing injuries after he was in collision with a car on one of the two uncontrolled crossing that would be replaced by the new toucan crossing.
The second serious accident, in September, saw a 13-year-old boy crossing the road on a mini-scooter struck by a motorcyclist. The boy suffered serious head, abdomen, arm and leg injuries and a recent update in the newsletter of Bradley Stoke Community School (where he is a student) reported that he is “still very unwell and not yet able to communicate”.
Research by The Journal has revealed that a speed monitoring exercise that the Council’s Highways Department agreed to undertake in response to the February accident began more than seven months later at 9:30am on Friday 30th September 2011 – the day of the second accident.
It has also come to light that Cllr Allinson was apparently unaware of the February accident that officials in his own Highways Department were responding to. Speaking during a discussion on pedestrian crossings at a recent meeting of Patchway Town Council, Cllr Brian Hopkinson, who is also a Bradley Stoke Town Councillor, said of the two Bradley Stoke accidents:
“Brian Allinson said that if the first accident had been pointed out to him (because it wasn’t) … something may well have happened then.”
Photo: Cllr Brian Allinson (right) inspects the scene of the second accident with Bradley Stoke Councillors.
Last 5 posts in Transport
- Trench Lane road closure extended by another month - 22nd October 2020
- Rabbit Roundabout improvements: Completion date slips into October - 21st October 2020
- Legal e-scooter trial expected to start soon - 10th October 2020
- Roadworks in the Stokes: Plenty more to come! - 8th October 2020
- Woodlands Lane roundabout resurfacing set to start on Thursday - 16th September 2020