With the London 2012 Games now just three days away, there’s a chance to have your photo taken with an Olympic torchbearer at Bradley Stoke’s Willow Brook Centre this afternoon.
Maggie Glastonbury, who carried the Olympic flame through Bristol on 23rd May, will be bringing her Olympic Torch along between 12pm and 2pm. People will be able to have their photos taken with her and the torch, using their own camera or phone, for a small donation to charity.
Maggie was nominated to carry the torch for her support of UK cancer charities, and, further afield, charities supporting seriously disadvantaged and/or disabled Peruvian children. She also takes time out of her busy schedule to personally visit Peru regularly to help practically and emotionally in the ongoing development of the children.
The appearance of the torch is part of a day of Olympic fun and games in the town centre, running from 11am to 4pm.
The ‘Going for Gold‘ event also features comedy PE teachers Mr Stretch and Mr Armstrong and children will be able to make a torch, medal, or flag in an Olympic themed craft workshop.
There’s also a Going for Gold treasure hunt and FREE face painting.
Sports challenges being staged by retailers at the Centre include:
- Rowing challenge with Anytime Fitness
- Cycle time trials with Giant
- Under-16s football contest with Argos
The closest the Olympic Torch Relay came to Bradey Stoke was on Wednesday 23rd May, when it passed along Southmead Road in Filton on day 5 of its 70-day tour of the United Kingdom. Click on the image below to see photos of the event from the Filton Journal.
Last 5 posts in General News
- BSJ magazine's Anytime Fitness competition winner announced - June 7th, 2013
- New leisure centre café officially opened - June 6th, 2013
- Brian Hopkinson elected as Bradley Stoke's new Mayor - May 21st, 2013
- Two years on: Have your say on street light switch-off - May 20th, 2013
- Have your say at community meetings this week - May 13th, 2013