The Bradley Stoke Pub in Brook Way is to close tonight for a lengthy period of refurbishment after recently changing hands, The Journal has learned.
Previously in the ownership of The Orchid Group, the pub is said to have been bought by Marston’s, who also own the town’s Baileys Court Inn.
A source at The Bradley Stoke said staff had only been formally told about the closure last week and there is still uncertainty over whether they will be retained by the new owners or face redundancy. A total of 14 people (full and part-time) are said to be employed at the pub.
It is rumoured that the pub will not re-open until 2013 because the new owners need to obtaining planning permission for some aspects of the refurbishment.
[Ed: Neither Orchid Group nor Marston’s were able to provide a statement in time for the publication of this article but we will update it if we get anything back from either of them.]
UPDATE (Friday 28th): A Marston’s spokesperson said: “We are looking to obtain planning permission to renovate The Bradley Stoke. The planned refurbishments would see the pub reopening again in 2013 with a focus on food.”
Photo: The Bradley Stoke Pub pictured during its last refurbishment in April 2009.
Related link: Pubs in Bradley Stoke (The Journal)
Last 5 posts in General News
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom summer 2020 update - July 11th, 2020
- The Brightwell: A new beginning - July 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Volunteering to ensure the most vulnerable in our community are supported - July 10th, 2020
- Change of hands for Bright Sparks pre-schools - July 8th, 2020
- Prints of local student's 'hero' word art drawing now available to order - June 20th, 2020