The Bradley Stoke Pub in Brook Way is to close tonight for a lengthy period of refurbishment after recently changing hands, The Journal has learned.
Previously in the ownership of The Orchid Group, the pub is said to have been bought by Marston’s, who also own the town’s Baileys Court Inn.
A source at The Bradley Stoke said staff had only been formally told about the closure last week and there is still uncertainty over whether they will be retained by the new owners or face redundancy. A total of 14 people (full and part-time) are said to be employed at the pub.
It is rumoured that the pub will not re-open until 2013 because the new owners need to obtaining planning permission for some aspects of the refurbishment.
[Ed: Neither Orchid Group nor Marston’s were able to provide a statement in time for the publication of this article but we will update it if we get anything back from either of them.]
UPDATE (Friday 28th): A Marston’s spokesperson said: “We are looking to obtain planning permission to renovate The Bradley Stoke. The planned refurbishments would see the pub reopening again in 2013 with a focus on food.”
Photo: The Bradley Stoke Pub pictured during its last refurbishment in April 2009.
Related link: Pubs in Bradley Stoke (The Journal)
Last 5 posts in General News
- Easter family fun in Bradley Stoke - 1st April 2021
- Staging of 2021 Bradley Stoke Community Festival hangs in the balance - 25th March 2021
- The story behind the white paper birds in a tree on Brook Way - 20th March 2021
- Tipper trucks make hundreds of journeys through Bradley Stoke as housing site levelled - 9th February 2021
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021