The Bradley Stoke Pub in Brook Way is to close tonight for a lengthy period of refurbishment after recently changing hands, The Journal has learned.
Previously in the ownership of The Orchid Group, the pub is said to have been bought by Marston’s, who also own the town’s Baileys Court Inn.
A source at The Bradley Stoke said staff had only been formally told about the closure last week and there is still uncertainty over whether they will be retained by the new owners or face redundancy. A total of 14 people (full and part-time) are said to be employed at the pub.
It is rumoured that the pub will not re-open until 2013 because the new owners need to obtaining planning permission for some aspects of the refurbishment.
[Ed: Neither Orchid Group nor Marston’s were able to provide a statement in time for the publication of this article but we will update it if we get anything back from either of them.]
UPDATE (Friday 28th): A Marston’s spokesperson said: “We are looking to obtain planning permission to renovate The Bradley Stoke. The planned refurbishments would see the pub reopening again in 2013 with a focus on food.”
Photo: The Bradley Stoke Pub pictured during its last refurbishment in April 2009.
Related link: Pubs in Bradley Stoke (The Journal)
Last 5 posts in General News
- ‘Autumn in the Stokes’ photo competition launched - 17th October 2020
- The scarecrows are coming to town! - 14th October 2020
- Woodland paths set for improvement - 8th October 2020
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom 2020 Best Front Garden competition: The winners - 14th September 2020
- Residents and businesses invited to enter mayor’s half-term charity scarecrow trail - 12th September 2020