A local community choir is inviting members of the public to attend a rehearsal evening in Stoke Lodge, a day before the group performs at a prestigious event at Bristol’s Colston Hall.
The Stokes Singers, a community choir set up for Bradley Stoke, Stoke Gifford and the surrounding “Stokes” area, are taking part in Bristol’s Festival of Song, which runs from 12th to 21st October. As part of the Festival, the group is asking members of the community to come along to a rehearsal evening (free entry) on Thursday 18th October at Amberley Road Baptist Church, Stoke Lodge at 8pm. Visitors will be able to sing or watch as well as enjoy some cake and tea or coffee.
The following day (Friday 19th October), the choir will be performing at a ‘Voices in the Hall’ event in the foyer of Bristol’s Colston Hall (also free).
Looking ahead, The Stokes Singers’ annual Christmas Concert will be held at Christ the King, Bradley Stoke on Saturday 15th December, starting at 7.30pm.
The Festival of Song arose in 2009 as a wish to highlight and celebrate Bristol’s growing vocal community. With such a diversity of individual singers, small groups, large community choirs and ensembles singing regularly across a range of genres, the opportunity to celebrate this shared love of singing clearly needed to be addressed.
The Festival of Song 2012 continues to showcase a rich diversity of genres, styles, repertoires and workshop activities through its seven strands, which are:
- Ticketed Performances in some of Bristol’s best venues
- Free Lunchtime Concerts in city centre churches
- Free early evening performances in Colston Hall Foyer
- Workshops and SoundBoards
- Bristol Song Trail
- Song Raids around the city centre & harbourside
- SongLines Educational Programme running throughout the year
Photo: The Stokes Singers performing at the Colston Hall in 2011.
Last 5 posts in Leisure
- Deciding on a New Year’s resolution? Why not join our choir – Stokes Singers? - 8th January 2020
- Twenty years of the Young at Heart Club - 18th September 2019
- Win a year’s free gym membership at Anytime Fitness in Bradley Stoke - 18th May 2019
- Art group gives 'God of the Three Brooks' a face - 30th March 2019
- Fireworks raise £2,810 for mayor’s charities - 8th December 2018