Residents of Bradley Stoke and Stoke Gifford say they were troubled by a strange high pitched noise in the area last night (Thursday/Friday 13/14th Decemebr).
Further comments on the Bradley Stoke Journal Facebook page this morning said the noise sounded like a vacuum cleaner or electric lawnmower.
Locations at which the noise was heard include north and central Bradley Stoke (near the Willow Brook Centre), Baileys Court, Little Stoke and Stoke Gifford.
A couple of people from Bradley Stoke said the noise seemed to be coming from the direction of Parkway Station.
The earliest mention of the issue is timed at around 9pm and the noise is said to have continued with varying intensity until after midnight.
A number of people have commented that they are relieved to have learned that others heard the noise as they originally thought it was coming from electrical appliances in their own homes.
Some of the contributors speculate that the noise might have come from overnight roadworks on the M4 and M5 (associated with the ongoing Managed Motorway project) but others say they live too far from the motorway for that to be the possible source.
According to information published on the Town Council website, overnight roadworks were scheduled to take place last night on the M4 between junctions 19 and 20 and on the M5 southbound to M4 westbound link road.
Work on the M4 began in January and the Highways Agency said it sent letters to all properties within 500m of the motorway to warn the occupiers about possible late night noise.
Last 5 posts in General News
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021
- Thousands of crocus bulbs planted to mark success of polio eradication project - 11th January 2021
- Covid-19 outbreak at Bradley Stoke primary school registers 62 positive cases - 22nd December 2020
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom autumn update - 16th December 2020
- Bradley Stoke scarecrow trail hijacked! - 7th December 2020