NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) has asked local residents to remember the importance of donating blood during the festive season.
The Jubilee Centre in Bradley Stoke holds regular sessions for those wanting to give blood, and with the aim of attracting 100,000 new donors in 100 days over the winter, NHSBT would like to remind residents to join the initiative.
The valuable gift of giving blood is often overlooked during the festive season. This year, the need for blood donors is more urgent than in previous years, as NHSBT reports a “dramatic decline in the number of younger donors signing up”.
Jonathan Sewell, NHSBT Lead Donor Relations Manager, has said:
“People are often very busy shopping for presents or planning get-togethers at this time, but donated blood is needed just as much as ever in December.”
“We are appealing for people here in Bradley Stoke to show warm hearts by taking just a little time out to give blood this Christmas.”
“We are particularly keen for young people who haven’t given blood before to get in touch so that they can become the lifesavers of the future.”
Anyone aged 17-65 can give blood if they are in good health and weigh over 50kg. NHSBT will be holding blood donor sessions at the Jubilee Centre this Friday (21st December) and on Friday 18th January 2013 (session times are 1:15pm to 3:30pm & 4:30pm to 7:15pm).
For more information, you can contact NHSBT on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk.
Article by Pallavi Hallur
All local blood donation sessions are listed in The Journal’s What’s On guide – the most comprehensive guide to events in the BS32 area.
Last 5 posts in General News
- Easter family fun in Bradley Stoke - 1st April 2021
- Staging of 2021 Bradley Stoke Community Festival hangs in the balance - 25th March 2021
- The story behind the white paper birds in a tree on Brook Way - 20th March 2021
- Tipper trucks make hundreds of journeys through Bradley Stoke as housing site levelled - 9th February 2021
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021