Bradley Stoke Town Council has lodged an objection to a plan by Tesco to construct a ‘Click & Collect’ unit in the car park of its Willow Brook Centre store.
The company wants to build the customer collection ‘pod’ at a site on the northern boundary of the car park, immediately behind houses in Dewfalls Drive.
The ‘Click & Collect’ service allows customers to order and pay for their shopping online and then collect it within a chosen timeslot from the customer collection point at the store.
The new service is aimed at customers who lead busy life styles and cannot guarantee that they will be at home to take receipt of the normal home delivery service provided by the store.
The Town Council’s grounds for objection are that:
“The proposed site is too close to existing houses and is against the spirit of the original planning permission for the site which was to ensure that retail units did not impact on the surrounding houses.”
The consultation period on the plans runs until Wednesday 17th April and, so far, there has been one other objection, from a resident of Dewfalls Drive.
The ‘Design and Access Statement’ submitted as part of the application suggests that the operating hours of the collection point would be 8am to 8pm (Mon-Sat) and 10am-4pm (Sun), although the application form itself lists differing hours of 6am-midnight for Monday through Saturday.
The site of the proposed collection point is not far from an outbuilding in the corner of the car park that the shopping centre applied to turn into a pizza takeaway in 2010. That application was eventually refused by South Gloucestershire Council on the grounds that it would “have a detrimental impact upon the residential amenity of the occupants of nearby dwellings”.
Related link: Tesco ‘Click & Collect’ service
Last 5 posts in Planning
- South Glos Tories push forward with plan to ban takeaways near schools - 3rd October 2020
- McDonald's presses on with third planning application for advertising signage - 22nd April 2020
- Councillors overruled: McDonald’s and Starbucks drive-throughs allowed on appeal - 26th February 2020
- Permission granted for McDonald's and Starbucks drive-throughs at Willow Brook - 16th January 2020
- Might golf course homes scheme now resurface? - 30th October 2019