Bradley Stoke stages its first ‘community triathlon’ tomorrow (Sunday 30th August) and residents should be aware that a large section of Bradley Stoke Way will be closed to traffic from 7am until at least 11am.
The Triathlon is being organised by Active Leisure Centres and is the idea of international triathlete Akhil Viz, who has been living and training in Bradley Stoke since October 2011.
The event consists of a 400 metre pool swim at Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre, an 18km cycle and a 5km run. The cycle ride will take place along a closed section of Bradley Stoke Way, while the run will mainly be along paths in the Three Brooks Nature Reserve.
The first wave of swimmers will enter the pool at 8.30am and the last at 10.10am. Course maps and information for spectators are available on the Active Triathlon website.
The road closure will extend between Patchway Brook Roundabout (near Aldi) in the north and Great Meadow Roundabout (junction with Baileys Court Road) in the south.
The bike race course will stop just short of Patchway Brook Roundabout, so will not infringe upon the roundabout itself.
Volunteer marshals will on duty to help ease traffic flow and prevent any confusion.
For residents living in areas on the east side of Bradley Stoke Way (e.g. Champs Sur Marne, Webbs Wood Road) marshals at the roundabouts will guide traffic across Bradley Stoke Way.
For residents in The Worthys, entry/exit will be via Winterbourne Road.
For maps and full details of the diversions, visit http://theactivetriathlon.com/residents/
During the road closure, traffic heading for the Willow Brook Centre will need to approach via Brook Way.
The swimming pools at Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre will be unavailable for general use during the triathlon and the leisure centre car park will be closed from 6am to 1pm. Alternative parking for the leisure centre and library is available at the Willow Brook Centre.
While the road closure is in place, bus services 73 & X74 will be unable to serve Bradley Stoke Way and Savages Wood Road. The following diversions will apply:
- Service 73 will divert via Brook Way in both directions.
- Service X74 will be unable to terminate at the Willow Brook Centre and instead terminate on Brook Way/Linden Drive. Service X74 will pick up any intending passengers at this stop and will turn at the roundabout at Savages Wood Road to recommence its journey back to the Centre.
Last 5 posts in Sport
- Young footballers raring to go post-lockdown - 27th March 2021
- Covid-19: Resuming outdoor bowls in Bradley Stoke - 18th March 2021
- The virtual road to the London Marathon 2020 - 2nd December 2020
- Bradley Stoke pair clinch trophy in delayed championship final - 17th November 2020
- Girls, come and play football with BSYFC! - 10th November 2020