An update from Sara Messenger of the Bradley Stoke in Bloom group.
We were bowled over by the number of lovely gardens that we saw while judging our annual Best Front Garden competition, including some that didn’t enter this year but have been persuaded to enter next year! As the number and standard of gardens increases each year so does the difficulty of choosing the best, but it gives us very great pleasure to finally be able to announce our 2016 winners!
The prizes were presented by town mayor Cllr Elaine Hardwick at the Willow Brook Centre’s Bradley Stoke’s Got Music event on Saturday 27th August.
First prize was a trophy and a gold medal engraved with the winner’s name, a 3-course meal for two donated by the Harvester Restaurant and a £30 garden voucher donated by Almondsbury Garden Centre.
Second prize was an engraved glass trophy, a silver medal and a £20 garden voucher donated by Almondsbury Garden Centre.
Third prize was an engraved glass trophy, a bronze medal and a £10 garden voucher donated by Almondsbury Garden Centre.
All the runners-up also received a certificate and an engraved medal.
Thank you to these companies, to Timpson’s for the large discount given on the trophy engraving and to Cllr Hardwick for presenting the prizes!
1st: Roger Burgess (Stean Bridge Road)
2nd: Maureen Hopkins (Address withheld)
3rd: Kevin & Gillian Griffiths (Stean Bridge Road)
4th: Andrew Roach (Dewfalls Drive)
Runners-up (in alphabetical order)
- Alisa & Richard Aquilina
- Amanda McLay
- Anna Price
- David & Jenny Neale
- Edward & Patricia Sheppard
- Krishnan Rambadhran
- Valerie & Cyril Bristow
Photo – back row (l-r): Sara Messenger (BSiB), Angela Burgess, Roger Burgess, Cllr Elaine Hardwick; front row (l-r): Jenny Neale, David Neale, Gillian Griffiths, Kevin Griffiths, Valerie Bristow and Anna Price.
More photos and images:
- Hi-res photo of the winners and runners-up (BSJ Facebook page)
- BSJ magazine centre spread (BSJ Facebook page)
- Photos of all the gardens entered (BSiB Facebook page)
This article originally appeared in the September 2016 edition of the Bradley Stoke Journal news magazine, delivered FREE, EVERY MONTH, to 9,500 homes in Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke and Stoke Lodge. Phone 01454 300 400 to enquire about advertising or leaflet insertion.
Last 5 posts in General News
- Local student's 'hero' word art drawing to be raffled for charity - May 11th, 2020
- Lake desilting project: Further details released - May 10th, 2020
- [Letter] What are they doing to our town centre? - March 4th, 2020
- Local mum and son team become published authors - March 3rd, 2020
- Councillors overruled: McDonald’s and Starbucks drive-throughs allowed on appeal - February 26th, 2020