Ahead of the highly anticipated new museum opening in late summer, Aerospace Bristol has selected a trio of high-flying artists as the winners of a competition inspired by Filton’s aviation heritage.
Aerospace Bristol was asked to judge the competition by Stokes Art Group, a local community group that covers the six Stokes of South Gloucestershire and surrounding areas. As well as taking pride in their art, the group are extremely proud of the link that many of their members share with the local aerospace industry and were keen to celebrate Concorde’s arrival into her new home at Aerospace Bristol with a competition themed around Filton’s aviation heritage.
Reflecting the story that will be told in the Aerospace Bristol exhibition later this summer, the group produced a collection of 18 artworks depicting aircraft spanning more than a century of fascinating aviation history; from Boxkite biplanes to Concorde and on to the modern day.
After careful deliberation, the three winners chosen by Aerospace Bristol were:
- Winner: Concorde 2017 Home from Home, by Susan Hartry (watercolour)
- Runner-up: We Love Concorde, by Sue Kelly (watercolour)
- Third place: Concorde Assembly Line, by Sara Smith (mixed media)
Working with local people and groups like Stokes Art Group, Aerospace Bristol aims to conserve Bristol’s aerospace heritage and celebrate the world class achievements of our aerospace industry. To play your part in keeping Concorde’s memory alive, visit aerospacebristol.org/donate and give a gift that will help to inspire the next generation of engineers.
Photo: Susan Hartry (right) holds her winning watercolour, which depicts Concorde arriving in her new home at Aerospace Bristol. Stokes Art Group Member Sue Jones (left) shows off the 2nd and 3rd placed artworks.
• Stokes Art Group aims to provide a time and place for local artists to meet and paint away from the distractions of home. The group holds studio sessions on Tuesday evenings and Thursday mornings, and although not tutor-led, there is always plenty of help on hand from those with more advanced skills. For more information about the Stokes Art Group visit their website or email Susan Hartry at email@example.com
Above: Concorde 2017 Home from Home, by Susan Hartry (watercolour)
Above: We Love Concorde, by Sue Kelly (watercolour)
Above: Concorde Assembly Line, by Sara Smith (mixed media)
This article originally appeared in the June 2017 issue of the Bradley Stoke Journal news magazine (on pages 4 & 5). The magazine is delivered FREE, EVERY MONTH, to 9,500 homes in Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke and Stoke Lodge. Phone 01454 300 400 to enquire about advertising or leaflet insertion.
Last 5 posts in Leisure
- Deciding on a New Year’s resolution? Why not join our choir – Stokes Singers? - 8th January 2020
- Twenty years of the Young at Heart Club - 18th September 2019
- Win a year’s free gym membership at Anytime Fitness in Bradley Stoke - 18th May 2019
- Art group gives 'God of the Three Brooks' a face - 30th March 2019
- Fireworks raise £2,810 for mayor’s charities - 8th December 2018