By local ballooning enthusiast Paul Mackley.
With the warm weather we saw briefly over Easter hopefully set to return, it will soon be that time of year when the city of Bristol’s skies start to fill with hot air balloons. But did you know there are some balloons based a little closer to home?
The Purple Rain Balloon Team is based in Bradley Stoke, and when the wind direction is right and the conditions are good, we have been known to fly from the Jubilee Centre playing fields.
The balloon is flown by Paul and Carol and we fly purely for fun (we aren’t commercial and don’t do paid flights, I’m afraid).
However, there is one way to come and fly with us and that is to join our ground crew. We are always looking for people to come along and join in the fun. We fly locally and also attend most of the country’s biggest balloon festivals, including the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta. So, if you are interested in hot air balloons and want to get more involved, don’t hesitate to get in touch or even come and say hello if you see us around.
We are particularly looking for someone who can drive a vehicle with a trailer, but anyone interested in balloons is welcome. We always look after our crew the best we can, with flights, breakfast etc., as well as the opportunity to come along to events.
This article originally appeared in the May 2019 issue of the Bradley Stoke Journal magazine (on page 14). The magazine is delivered FREE, EVERY MONTH (except August), to ALL 8,700 homes in Bradley Stoke. Phone 01454 300 400 to enquire about advertising or leaflet insertion.
Last 5 posts in General News
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021
- Thousands of crocus bulbs planted to mark success of polio eradication project - 11th January 2021
- Covid-19 outbreak at Bradley Stoke primary school registers 62 positive cases - 22nd December 2020
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom autumn update - 16th December 2020
- Bradley Stoke scarecrow trail hijacked! - 7th December 2020