The Championship competition finals at Thornbury Indoor Bowls Club should have been played in March but were delayed due to the Coronavirus outbreak, writes Arthur Allan of Bradley Stoke Bowls Club.
The Men’s Pairs event was eventually played on 11th October between Michael Cove and Dennis Overton, of Bradley Stoke Bowls Club, and their opponents David Quick and James Wood.
By the 15th end (of the 21 played) the Bradley Stoke players had a lead of 22 shots to 8. However, their opponents pressed hard to cut the score to 22-18 with three ends left. Eventually the Bradley Stoke team won 24-19 after a three-hour game.
Dennis revealed after the game that, to avoid Covid exposure, he had not played bowls for seven months, and that having lost one of his bowls, he was playing with a borrowed set a size larger than usual!
This article originally appeared in the November/December 2020 issue of the Bradley Stoke Journal magazine (on page 23). The magazine is delivered FREE, nine times a year, to ALL 8,700 homes in Bradley Stoke. Phone 01454 300 400 to enquire about advertising or leaflet insertion.
Last 5 posts in Sport
- The virtual road to the London Marathon 2020 - 2nd December 2020
- Girls, come and play football with BSYFC! - 10th November 2020
- Young footballers back in training at new base - 1st October 2020
- Every step matters for the Sole Sisters runners - 30th September 2020
- Ladies’ football teams ready for new season - 19th September 2020