The popular Trench Lane car boot sale faces being refused a trading licence by South Gloucestershire Council (SGC) after local police objected on the grounds that the public might be subjected to “force, fear or harm [following] numerous public order complaints emanating from the site”.
The boot sale, which has taken place on the site opposite Woodlands Golf Club for over ten years (although it has only been officially licensed since 2003), runs every Sunday from early May to late September.
A report to be discussed by SGC’s Licensing Sub-Committee next Tuesday (15th February) states that, during the 2010 season, “numerous complaints were made to both the police and the Licensing Department in relation to the alleged heavy handedness of the marshalling team who conduct traffic direction within the parking area of the site.”
The report details five complaints of “threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour” by marshals during the 2010 season with two of the alleged incidents occurring in the presence of young children.
Other complaints made to the authorities about the sale over the last two years include filthy toilets, trading by an unlicensed ice cream van, the sale of live animals and traffic congestion affecting businesses in the vicinity.
Marshals working at the event, some of whom roam around the site on quad bikes, are said to be members of the organiser’s family.
Council officers have recommended that the application either be granted with conditions (such as requiring marshals to undergo Security Industry Authority training) or refused.
- Markets in and around Bradley Stoke (The Journal)
Last 5 posts in General News
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021
- Thousands of crocus bulbs planted to mark success of polio eradication project - 11th January 2021
- Covid-19 outbreak at Bradley Stoke primary school registers 62 positive cases - 22nd December 2020
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom autumn update - 16th December 2020
- Bradley Stoke scarecrow trail hijacked! - 7th December 2020