Two young children have been found dead after a serious house fire in Merryweather Close in the early hours of this morning (Saturday).
Firefighters called to the scene at around 6:30am report finding a “very severe” fire on the first floor and roof space of an end-of-terrace three bedroom property in the cul-de-sac off Brook Way.
An Avon Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said that two adults and three children had escaped from the building before crews arrived but two young children were believed to be still inside.
Firefighters equipped with breathing apparatus and fire fighting jets entered the building but were unable to save the two children, said by neighbours to be aged five and seven.
The cul-de-sac remains closed with police officers guarding the vehicle and pedestrian entrances while fire investigators work to establish the cause.
The fire service spokesperson said a report from the scene would be broadcast on tonight’s BBC Points West television news.
Above: Fire investigators at work in Merryweather Close.
Above: Police road block at the junction of Merryweather Close and Brook Way.
Last 5 posts in General News
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021
- Thousands of crocus bulbs planted to mark success of polio eradication project - 11th January 2021
- Covid-19 outbreak at Bradley Stoke primary school registers 62 positive cases - 22nd December 2020
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom autumn update - 16th December 2020
- Bradley Stoke scarecrow trail hijacked! - 7th December 2020