Drivers from Bradley Stoke looking to join or leave the M5 after 10pm tonight (Thursday 5th July) will face lengthy diversions due to an overnight closure of the motorway in both directions south of the Almondsbury Interchange.
The northbound carriageway will be closed between junctions 17 (Cribbs Causeway) and 15 (Almondsbury Interchange), while the southbound carriageway will be closed between junctions 15 (Almondsbury Interchange) and 16 (A38, Aztec West).
The closures are part of an £88.6m project to create a ‘managed motorway’ scheme around the M4/M5 interchange, in which speed limits are dynamically controlled and traffic is permitted to use the hard shoulder at peak times.
The work being carried out during July includes the installation of seven giant overhead gantries, each spanning 50 metres and weighing over 30 tonnes (from a total of 33 required by the whole scheme).
Full details of the diversions can be found on the ‘Impact on Your Journey‘ page on the Highways Agency website and on an interactive map [PDF, 358kB] produced by the agency specifically for tonight’s closures.
Further overnight closures of the M4 and M5 are scheduled on eight more nights during July.
Last 5 posts in Transport
- Bus timetable changes on M1 & 73 from Sunday - 10th April 2021
- Raised table proposed for Brook Way zebra crossing - 4th April 2021
- 'Hop-on, hop-off' e-scooter hire scheme arrives in the Stokes - 14th February 2021
- Bus service frequencies to be reduced from Sunday - 22nd January 2021
- Trench Lane road closure extended by another month - 22nd October 2020