Having recently taken up cycling to work, I do wish Aztec West were equipped with either cycle paths or shared cycle/footpaths. Cycle lanes on roads that carry motor traffic are simply not safe enough except for expert sports cyclists.
Every morning I see dozy white van drivers with mobile phones to their ears and I’m terrified they will just run into me without noticing. The roads also take us a long way round the main loop to get to the other side from the shared cycle/pedestrian tunnel on the A38, and official cut-throughs are fiddly, often requiring kerb-jumping or squeezing between parked cars.
As soon as I’m off Aztec West and on my way to Bradley Stoke, there is no problem, and I can use cycle paths and ultra-low-traffic roads.
Simply allowing cyclists to share the Aztec footpaths on an official basis would be a huge step forward.
I hope I won’t have to give up and start using the car again.
Last 5 posts in Transport
- Bus timetable changes on M1 & 73 from Sunday - 10th April 2021
- Raised table proposed for Brook Way zebra crossing - 4th April 2021
- 'Hop-on, hop-off' e-scooter hire scheme arrives in the Stokes - 14th February 2021
- Bus service frequencies to be reduced from Sunday - 22nd January 2021
- Trench Lane road closure extended by another month - 22nd October 2020