Thousands of pounds of damage has been caused in a suspected arson attack on storage containers located on the edge of the cricket field at the Baileys Court Activity Centre in Bradley Stoke.
Fire crews from Patchway, Southmead and Soundwell attended the incident shortly after 3am on Tuesday morning (22nd July). On arrival, they found two containers well alight.
The fire was extinguished by four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus using a 45mm jet reel and a high pressure hose.
A spokesperson for the Avon Fire & Rescue Service said it is believed the fire was started deliberately.
The main part of the fire was in a container used by Bradley Stoke Town Council to house its three-wheel ‘tuk-tuk’ maintenance vehicle, which was completely destroyed (photo). The container is also believed to have housed equipment belonging to Bradley Stoke in Bloom (BSiB) and Bradley Stoke Radio.
Smoke and heat damage was also caused to equipment owned by Bradley Stoke Cricket Club stored in an adjoining container.
The Journal has heard from a number of sources that an attempt had been made to break into the containers the previous night (Sunday night / Monday morning).
Writing on The Journal’s Facebook page yesterday, Sara Messenger of BSiB said:
“The container contained everything that BSiB had, the council tuk-tuk (vehicle) and some Bradley Stoke Radio equipment / generator. I had a quick look this afternoon before the police were due and the only thing that has not been incinerated is a waxed ball of string! BSiB have lost everything, even the tea and biscuits!”
A police spokesperson said it is believed the fire was started sometime between 3.30pm on Monday and 2.15am on Tuesday. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact police on 101 quoting reference 74477/14.
Photo: Fire-damaged container housing equipment belonging to Bradley Stoke Cricket Club. [Credit: Mark Wilson]
Last 5 posts in Police
- Arrests made following reported assault in Kemperleye Way - 28th March 2021
- Man remanded in custody following Stanley Mead burglary - 15th October 2020
- Jubilee Centre ASB camera deployment ended after six months - 23rd January 2020
- Police issue warning following spate of patio door break-ins - 15th November 2019
- CCTV zone set up near Jubilee Centre - 30th July 2019