Four-year-old Lily Williams, from Bradley Stoke, is the latest local resident to have her long locks chopped off and donated to the Little Princess Trust.
The charity supplies real-hair wigs to boys and girls across the UK and Ireland who have lost their own hair through cancer treatment or have conditions which lead to hair loss, such as alopecia.
Lily,who attends Abacus Pre-School but will be starting at Meadowbrook Primary in September, was moved to help the charity after a friend of her mum, Katie, underwent treatment for cancer and suffered hair loss. Lily asked her mum if “children get poorly and loose hair” and, on being told that they sometimes did, decided she would like to “give them some of her own hair”.
Lily has also raised over £1,000 for the Little Princess Trust, thanks to donations from Abacus Pre-School, family, friends and work colleagues of her mum and dad.
The trust will use this money towards the cost of manufacturing wigs from the hair it receives.
The all-important haircut was carried out free of charge on Tuesday 19th July at the Alan Bendrey & Co salon, Aztec West, watched by Lily’s parents Katie and Bradley, sister Ruby and two of her grandparents.
Katie and Bradley say they are completely overwhelmed by people’s generosity and very proud of their daughter.
• Donations via www.justgiving.com/Katie-Williams54
This article originally appeared in the August 2016 edition of the Bradley Stoke Journal news magazine, delivered FREE, EVERY MONTH, to 9,500 homes in Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke and Stoke Lodge. Phone 01454 300 400 to enquire about advertising or leaflet insertion.
Last 5 posts in Charities
- Teenager's cake bakes raise hundreds of pounds for local charity - 13th January 2021
- Grant award a welcome boost for local charity - 17th November 2020
- Local mum’s new role supporting families of children with heart conditions - 6th October 2020
- Bradley Stoke man's virtual 'around the world' charity cycle ride - 23rd May 2020
- Local residents in training for 110-mile cancer charity walk - 29th February 2020