Local MP Jack Lopresti has met residents and Avon and Somerset Police Inspector Clive Summerill to discuss the high number of burglaries that have taken place in Bradley Stoke and surrounding areas in recent months.
The meeting was arranged after concern had been expressed that families who may own gold jewellery are being specifically targeted by organised gangs.
According to a report on Mr Lopresti’s website, Inspector Summerill was able to hear about some of the fears that residents have that their properties may be in danger of being burgled. He was able to give them some background to the form that the burglaries are taking, that organised groups are finding properties to burgle before a different group carries out the break-in. He was also able to let them know that the police have made some arrests, with some of those arrested currently on remand. Ideas on how to combat these crimes were discussed, and Inspector Summerill was able to give crime prevention advice to those present.
Mr Lopresti commented:
“I was very pleased to be able to bring the residents who have contacted me about these crimes together with the police.”
“These crimes are a concern to large numbers of my constituents and I hope that we were able to provide some reassurance that the police are doing all they can to combat the problem. I have written to the minister with responsibility for policing to ask him whether the National Crime Agency can become involved and for there to be a national strategy in place.”
• Latest statistics from the Home Office (below) show that burglaries remained well above average in December 2016, but dropped sharply in January.
Photo: Police Inspector Clive Summerhill meets Jack Lopresti MP (third from right) and concerned local constituents.
This article originally appeared in the April 2017 issue of the Bradley Stoke Journal news magazine (on page 9). The magazine is delivered FREE, EVERY MONTH, to 9,500 homes in Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke and Stoke Lodge. Phone 01454 300 400 to enquire about advertising or leaflet insertion.
Last 5 posts in Police
- Arrests made following reported assault in Kemperleye Way - 28th March 2021
- Man remanded in custody following Stanley Mead burglary - 15th October 2020
- Jubilee Centre ASB camera deployment ended after six months - 23rd January 2020
- Police issue warning following spate of patio door break-ins - 15th November 2019
- CCTV zone set up near Jubilee Centre - 30th July 2019