Welcome to The Journal’s guide to healthcare in Bradley Stoke, covering NHS and private health services in the town.
Sadly, Bradley Stoke has been poorly provided with healthcare facilities ever since the town’s construction began in 1987. Bradley Stoke Surgery operated from a portakabin until 1991, when the present surgery buildings were constructed in Brook Way. The surgery, still the only one within the town’s boundaries, was designed to accommodate 3 GPs and serve 5,000 patients.
With the town’s population now reaching 20,000, facilities at the Brook Way surgery (which now accommodates 10 GPs) are seriously stretched and many residents are obliged to seek treatment outside the town.
Earlier plans to construct a new health centre in the town, in Savages Wood Road, close to the Willow Brook Centre, were scrapped by NHS South Gloucestershire in favour of extending facilities at three existing surgeries that serve the town (the other two being in Little Stoke and Stoke Gifford).
Dental provision has faired even worse, with not a single dental practice available within the town’s boundaries. The closest practices are to be found the surrounding towns of Stoke Gifford, Patchway, Winterbourne, Almondsbury and Filton.
The good news is that a new dental practice is expected to open in April 2009 at the Willow Brook Centre in Bradley Stoke.
The town gained its first optician’s practice when the new Tesco Extra store opened at Willow Brook Centre on Monday 13th October 2008. The Tesco Opticians service has a department within the store.
Bradley Stoke Health Service Information
GP Practices serving Bradley Stoke
Dental Practices serving Bradley Stoke
Opticians serving Bradley Stoke
Pharmacies serving Bradley Stoke
Healthcare pages in The Journal’s Town Guide
Latest Healthcare stories in The Journal
- ‘Living Well with Dementia‘ roadshow in Bradley Stoke on Wednesday 23rd May
- Ask the Doctor: Christmas preparations
- Event will offer hope to parents of children with neurological conditions
- New opening hours at Bradley Stoke Pharmacy from Wednesday 6th May
- Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre to host World Mental Health Day event
- Local midwife classes saved but new mums face longer trips
- Surgery to take on new doctors in effort to improve appointment availability
- Funding cuts set to force midwife classes and baby clinics out of town
- Councillors hear about new use for Winterbourne View
- Children’s Centre under threat as cuts start to bite
Useful Healthcare Links
- NHS Direct – for expert advice on any health problem
- South Gloucestershire LINk – have your say on local health and social care services
- BBC Health – health and wellbeing advice from the BBC
- Patient UK – health information and advice; medicines guide
- Healthtalkonline – share in other people’s experiences of health and illness
- NHS Evidence – comprehensive evidence base for everyone in health and social care
- North Bristol NHS Trust – Southmead and Frenchay hospitals
- News about Bristol’s new ‘super hospital’ at Southmead