Posts Tagged ‘fire’

Appeals issued after spate of woodland fires

Posted on Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 9:41 pm by SH (Editor)

Photo showing the aftermath of a small unauthorised fire in Savages Wood, after it was extinguished by a fire service crew.

The neighbourhood police team in Bradley Stoke is asking parents and carers to speak with their children about the dangers of starting fires after firefighters were called out five times over a period of less than two weeks to deal with small fires in a local wood.

Fire service crews from Patchway, Kingswood and Portishead fire stations attended the incidents, all of which were located in Savages Wood (behind Bradley Stoke leisure Centre). Two of the incidents were separated by less than three hours (on Sunday 12th May).

High pressure hose reels were used to extinguish the fires in three of the incidents with an aqua backpack and a bucket being used in the other two. In all cases, it is thought that the fires had been started deliberately.

Police attendance was not required on 12th May, however, following a further incident on 13th May, they were made aware that fire crews had spoken with teenagers who were in the area about “the risks and dangers of starting fires”.

On Friday 17th May, a member of the public called to report a tree stump had been set on fire in woodland near to the skate park. The call came in just before 7.30pm and patrolling officers attended within five minutes. Fire crews put the fire out by 7.45pm. Police say there were a number of teenagers in the area at the time, however no one was able to identify those responsible for starting the fire.

The Kingswood crew that attended the 13th May incident tweeted a photo showing a pile of large aerosol cans on the woodland floor, with the message: “Spent time emptying and making these aerosol cans inoperable after the fire was out.” It is not clear whether any aerosol cans had been thrown onto the fire. The Journal understands that staff at the nearby Tesco extra store have been asked to be on the alert after someone reported seeing boys buying a large quantity of hair spray aerosol cans at the self-service tills two days earlier.

There have also been reports of youths setting fire to aerosol cans and using them as flame throwers at the nearby skate park.

More: Council says fires, including BBQs, are not permitted on its land »

Share this article:

Discussion is open - be the first to comment - click here to respond.

UK_Best stuff in your city_468x60

New Year firework sets family home ablaze

Posted on Thursday 8th February 2018 at 8:57 pm by SH (Editor)

Photo of firefighters standing outside the house. Photo of the burnt-out lean-to.

A Bradley Stoke family is warning of the dangers of setting off fireworks close to homes after a terrifying incident on New Year’s Eve which saw their property come within minutes of being burnt to the ground.

Sarah Crisp and her husband were celebrating the New Year at a local pub when they received a call, at 12.10am, from their teenage daughter, informing them that their Ellicks Close home was on fire.

With no transport of their own and unable to drive because they had been drinking, the couple managed to get a lift home and were greeted by the ominous sight of three fire engines outside their home. Fortunately, by the time they arrived, the fire had been put out and their daughter and her boyfriend were being looked after by a neighbour, the pair having escaped from the property with the family pets after dialling 999.

Daughter Rachel and boyfriend Tom explained that at midnight they had heard fireworks going off on the cycle path that runs alongside the house, so they went upstairs to watch from a window. They saw two men who seemed to be setting off the fireworks in various directions “with scant regard for any consequences”.

When the fireworks finished, the teenagers went back downstairs but then heard “very loud bangs that were even louder than the fireworks”, which they now know were camping gas canisters in the garden shed exploding. Rachel went to investigate and then saw the fire, and her boyfriend went round the side of the house and was greeted by a fierce blaze in a ‘lean to’ attached to the property.

Sarah commented: “If it wasn’t for the quick action of my daughter and her boyfriend, and also, of course, the fire brigade, who only took 5 minutes to arrive, we would have lost our house – as when the fire brigade arrived the roof was just starting to ignite!”

More: Repair costs will run into thousands »

Share this article:

Appeal for information following Ellicks Close fire

Posted on Monday 21st August 2017 at 11:50 pm by SH (Editor)

Local police are appealing for information after a fire at the home of a woman and her two young children, which they believe was started deliberately.

The fire at a property in Ellicks Close, Bradley Stoke caused extensive damage to the garage, including a number of appliances and garden tools, as well as a car parked on the driveway.

The incident happened at about 3.45am on Saturday 12th August and, fortunately, the family escaped unharmed.

Investigating officer PC Ryan Day said:

“The outcome could have been so much worse.  At the time the fire started, the two young children and their mother were fast asleep inside.”

“I’d urge anyone in the area at the time, or who may have information to help our investigation, to get in touch.”

A 17-year-old voluntarily attended a police station in connection with the incident and was released without charge.

Anyone with information should call the police on the non-emergency number 101 (or contact them online) quoting reference 5217184813.  You can also call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.  They never ask for your name and cannot trace your call.

Source: Press release from Avon and Somerset Police.

Image: Still from a video of the Ellicks Close fire posted on a local Facebook group

See also: Family possessions destroyed in shocking arson attack as mother and children sleep upstairs (Bristol Post)

Share this article:

[Forum] Fire on Tump was “mindless act of destruction”

Posted on Monday 9th May 2016 at 8:42 pm by Anonymous (Forum)

Aftermath of a fire on the Tump, Bradley Stoke, Bristol.

My wife and I sadly witnessed a mindless act of destruction yesterday on the big hill in the nature reserve. On our walk we saw several teenagers on the hill and 5 minutes later a fire broke out where they were standing which quickly grew out of control.

We called the police and fire service to attend and confronted the youths only to receive a load of verbal and aggressive abuse back, so we departed to wait for the fire service.

The group continued to hang around for 10-15 minutes, but sadly neither the police nor fire service attended.

Two PCSOs called by our house about 45 mins later, although they couldn’t find where the fire happened.

Photo: Aftermath of fire on the Tump.

Name withheld

Share this article:

0

The Bradley Stoke Journal magazine - your MONTHLY local newspaper.
Ocean Estate Agents, Bradley Stoke, Bristol.
Bradley Stoke Journal 6 & 11-year anniversary (2019).