A local community organisation is seeking nominations for the first ever Outstanding Women’s Awards open to women and girls living in Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke, Stoke Lodge, Stoke Gifford, Patchway and Filton.
Southern Brooks Community Partnership (SBCP) is running the competition as part of its celebrations for International Women’s Day. The winners will be honoured at a presentation evening on Wednesday 4th March at Bradley Stoke Community School (7pm start).
The awards aim to acknowledge the various ways in which local women and girls have made a difference in their own lives and in the wider community. There are four categories and prizes for each will be provided by local businesses:
- Personal Achievement – for women who have overcome adversity in their personal lives;
- Community Award – for women who have taken on the role of community leaders;
- Mentor Award – for women who have created positive changes in the lives of other women;
- Caring Achievement Award – for women who have cared long-term for a sick/disabled relative, child or friend.
Nomination forms will be available from Bradley Stoke Library, the Jubilee Activity Centre and the Willow Brook Centre from Wednesday 21st January. Completed nomination forms should be posted in the boxes which will be provided at the Jubilee and Willow Brook Centres. The closing date for nominations is Wednesday 11th February.
The presentation evening on 4th March will also incorporate a fashion show with an international flavour. Fashions from Africa and Asia as well as contemporary high street clothes will be modelled by local volunteers from the community and pupils from the school. Fair trade and sustainable fashions will also be featured.
Cheese and wine will be provided in the interval and there will be a market place where handbags, make-up and jewellery will be on sale at reasonable prices.
In keeping with the wider ethos of international Women’s day SBCP has chosen Action Aid as the charity which will receive all donations received on the night.
Last 5 posts in Charities
- Local mum’s new role supporting families of children with heart conditions - 6th October 2020
- Bradley Stoke man's virtual 'around the world' charity cycle ride - 23rd May 2020
- Local residents in training for 110-mile cancer charity walk - 29th February 2020
- Marie Curie fundraisers looking for new volunteers in 2020 - 18th January 2020
- Mental Elf Run a resounding success - 10th January 2020