First Group has announced changes to the 73 bus service which will see journey times between Bradley Stoke and the centre of Bristol reduced but leave the Aztec West Business Park isolated from the public transport network.
The changes, which come into effect on Sunday 1st February, will see, for example, the existing 08:04 service (now retimed to 08:01) from Kemperleye Way (North) taking three minutes less to reach Bristol city centre.
Time savings between Bradley Stoke and Bristol will be achieved by cutting out sections of the route that visit Filton High School and MOD Abbey Wood. Passengers travelling to the school will have an extra five minute walk from Fox Den Road, while those wishing to reach the MOD will need to alight at the nearby retail park.
Journey times on the section of the 73 route between Bradley Stoke and The Mall, Cribbs Causeway, will be reduced by axing the peak hours only loop through the Aztec West Business Park.
The Aztec West cut, which leaves the business park without public transport of any form, is likely to anger workers from businesses at the far end of the park, who will now have a long walk to access services from stops on the main A38 or Bradley Stoke Way.
The move throws doubt on the rationality of parts of a recently announced Greater Bristol Bus Network scheme to introduce bus lanes at the Aztec West roundabout. Those plans include a new bus lane on the eastbound exit road out of the Aztec West Business Park.
South Gloucestershire Council recently announced plans to create an alternative bus access route into Aztec West from Patchway, via Waterside Drive (which is currently restricted to emergency vehicles).
- Service Changes in Bristol from 1st February – First Group
- Map of changes to services 73, 73A and 73B – First Group
- Guide to Bus Services in Bradley Stoke – The Journal
Last 5 posts in Transport
- Trench Lane road closure extended by another month - 22nd October 2020
- Rabbit Roundabout improvements: Completion date slips into October - 21st October 2020
- Legal e-scooter trial expected to start soon - 10th October 2020
- Roadworks in the Stokes: Plenty more to come! - 8th October 2020
- Woodlands Lane roundabout resurfacing set to start on Thursday - 16th September 2020