South Gloucestershire Council has announced that it has scrapped plans for a bus priority scheme on the A38 Aztec West roundabout, saying that the work is “no longer viable” after First Group made changes to the route of its 73 bus service.
The earlier proposals have now been abandoned in favour of a northbound bus lane on the A38 Gloucester Road between the Little Stoke junction and the Aztec West Roundabout.
Consultants working for the Council say that traffic studies suggest that the new scheme could save buses an average of 10 minutes at peak times.
The original scheme also included a number of improvements on the section of Bradley Stoke Way between the Aztec West Roundabout and Woodlands Lane. The status of that part of the scheme is currently unknown.
The Council has opened a public consultation on the new scheme, which runs until 17th October.
An exhibition of the new plans will take place at the Aztec West Business Centre between Monday 28th September and Friday 2nd October.
A poster for the exhibition summarises the proposed changes as follows:
- New northbound bus lane between the Little Stoke junction and Aztec West Roundabout.
- The existing pedestrian crossing point near the roundabout will be upgraded to allow cyclists to use it.
- A southbound on-carriageway cycle lane will be provided from Aztec West Roundabout to The Common.
- An additional lane will be provided on the roundabout to assist the vehicles heading right toward Woodlands Lane via Bradley Stoke Way.
- The bus stop on A38 northbound on the approach to the roundabout will be relocated adjacent to the
pedestrian access to the business park.
The 73 bus service previously made a loop around the Aztec West Business Park during the morning and evening peak periods, but First Group decided to cut the diversion in an effort to improve journey times between Cribbs Causeway and Bradley Stoke.
Last 5 posts in Transport
- Bus timetable changes on M1 & 73 from Sunday - 10th April 2021
- Raised table proposed for Brook Way zebra crossing - 4th April 2021
- 'Hop-on, hop-off' e-scooter hire scheme arrives in the Stokes - 14th February 2021
- Bus service frequencies to be reduced from Sunday - 22nd January 2021
- Trench Lane road closure extended by another month - 22nd October 2020