Three former members of staff at a Bradley Stoke care home that was closed down after an undercover operation by a BBC TV programme have pleaded guilty to ill-treating vulnerable patients.
Secretly filmed footage broadcast in a Panorama documentary on 31st May 2011 appeared to show vulnerable residents being pinned down, slapped, doused in water and taunted.
Avon and Somerset Police have since charged eleven people with ill treatment and neglect offences under the Mental Health Act.
All eleven appeared yesterday (Thursday 9th February) at Bristol Crown Court, where three of them pleaded guilty to a total of 18 charges relating to the ill-treatment of patients at Winterbourne View. Two defendants pleaded not guilty to charges of ill-treatment, with the remaining eight declining to enter pleas.
Defendants yet to enter pleas are due to return to court on Friday 16th March.
Operating company Castlebeck closed the home on 24th June 2011, after patients were transferred to other services. Today, the building remains unused, with all ground floor windows and entrances boarded up.
The South Gloucestershire Safeguarding Adults Board is currently conducting a Serious Case Review into the allegations of abuse at Winterbourne View. According to a response to a recent Freedom of Information request, the review’s report is “likely to be published in March 2012 but this may be subject to change given the intervention of the criminal justice system”.
Other reviews are being (or have been) carried out by the NHS, the Care Quality Commission, Castlebeck and the Department of Health.
- Three plead guilty to care home abuse (Bristol Evening Post)
- Winterbourne View hospital staff admit abuse charges (BBC)
- Our action since Winterbourne View (Care Quality Commission)
Last 5 posts in Healthcare
- ‘Living Well with Dementia‘ roadshow in Bradley Stoke on Wednesday 23rd May - 20th May 2018
- Ask the Doctor: Christmas preparations - 11th December 2017
- Event will offer hope to parents of children with neurological conditions - 7th June 2016
- New opening hours at Bradley Stoke Pharmacy from Wednesday 6th May - 4th May 2015
- Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre to host World Mental Health Day event - 8th October 2014