Avon Fire and Rescue crews from Patchway, Southmead and Speedwell were called to St Mary’s RC Primary School on Webbs Wood Road, Bradley Stoke, yesterday afternoon following reports of smoke seen coming from the building.
The incident occurred at 4pm, when pupils had gone home for the day but some staff remained on the premises.
On arrival, crews found heavy smoke logging within the school and discovered that a fire had started in a small kitchen contained within an annexe (not the main school kitchen).
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used high-pressure hoses to deal with the fire.
Fire service spokesman James Bladon said it appeared that “items” had been left on top of the cooker, which had been left on accidentally, causing the fire to start.
The fire was said to be “quite small” and it resulted in damage to the cooker and an area of nearby wall.
A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear smoke logging from the property.
A message on the school’s website said that the school and breakfast club would “open as normal” today (Friday 29th June).
St Mary’s holds its Summer Fayre tomorrow, between 2pm and 4:30pm.
Last 5 posts in General News
- Easter family fun in Bradley Stoke - 1st April 2021
- Staging of 2021 Bradley Stoke Community Festival hangs in the balance - 25th March 2021
- The story behind the white paper birds in a tree on Brook Way - 20th March 2021
- Tipper trucks make hundreds of journeys through Bradley Stoke as housing site levelled - 9th February 2021
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021