Work on a £2.9 million scheme to increase capacity and improve safety at Great Stoke Roundabout (a.k.a. Rabbit Roundabout) will start this autumn and is scheduled to take 12 months to complete, South Gloucestershire Council has announced.
The work will require lane closures as well as some full road closures (when deemed essential for safe working).
The timing of the programme, which will overlap an eight-month full closure of nearby Gipsy Patch Lane due to start in March 2020, is likely to lead to criticism that the council has once again scheduled multiple major roadworks to run concurrently at locations in close proximity within the Bristol North Fringe.
Overlapping works in recent years have included:
- MetroBus route construction work being carried out concurrently at multiple locations on Bradley Stoke Way between September 2015 and November 2017
- Aztec West Roundabout and A38 improvements works being carried out concurrently with MetroBus works on Bradley Stoke Way from May 2016 to November 2017
- Traffic light renewal at Abbey Wood Roundabout being carried out concurrently with a one-month full closure of Gipsy Patch Lane in June 2019
- Resurfacing at Abbey Wood Roundabout being carried out concurrently with a full closure of Hambrook Lane in September 2019
A recently published feedback report on the public consultation carried out on the Great Stoke Roundabout proposals in February and March 2019 shows that 75 percent of the 125 respondents supported the scheme “as a whole” with 52 percent believing that it will “improve journeys in future years”. No amendments to the scheme appear to have been made as a result of the consultation.
Look out for a more detailed report on the upcoming works in the November issue of the Bradley Stoke Journal magazine.
Last 5 posts in Transport
- Trench Lane road closure extended by another month - 22nd October 2020
- Rabbit Roundabout improvements: Completion date slips into October - 21st October 2020
- Legal e-scooter trial expected to start soon - 10th October 2020
- Roadworks in the Stokes: Plenty more to come! - 8th October 2020
- Woodlands Lane roundabout resurfacing set to start on Thursday - 16th September 2020