A medical practice serving a large part of Bradley Stoke has submitted plans for a major expansion.
Also featured in the plans are an opticians’ unit, a dental unit and a “diagnostic centre”.
The expansion will be achieved through extension of the existing surgery and pharmacy building plus the construction of a new two storey block sited at right angles to the existing building.
Residential accommodation is also included in the plans, with four self-contained flats on the first floor of the new block.
The catchment area of The Stokes Medical Centre includes Little Stoke, Patchway and parts of Bradley Stoke (south-west of Bradley Stoke Way) and Stoke Gifford.
The centre is one of three GP practices that NHS South Gloucestershire has said will be expanded to serve the healthcare needs of Bradley Stoke residents, after plans to create a new health centre near the new town centre in Savages Wood Road were dropped.
Bradley Stoke Surgery in Brook Way, Bradley Stoke, had two sets of applications for expansion approved last year, after the government’s Planning Inspectorate overruled South Gloucestershire Council’s view that the proposed plans represented “over-development” of the site.
Dr Simon Bradley of The Stokes Medical Centre said:
“Just 4 minutes drive or a kilometre walk from Bradley Stoke Town Centre, our plans are a much needed opportunity for local families to have access to the purpose built medical and diagnostic centre that was previously intended for the town centre but which was never built.”
Last 5 posts in Healthcare
- Covid-19 community testing unit to open in Bradley Stoke on Monday - 17th January 2021
- Residents urged to "help keep Bradley Stoke safe" following surge in Covid-19 cases - 21st December 2020
- ‘Living Well with Dementia‘ roadshow in Bradley Stoke on Wednesday 23rd May - 20th May 2018
- Ask the Doctor: Christmas preparations - 11th December 2017
- Event will offer hope to parents of children with neurological conditions - 7th June 2016