Travellers have set up camp in the car park of a business in north Bradley Stoke.
At least three caravans/motorhomes and associated vehicles are currently stationed in the car park of global food ingredients company Kerry Group at Equinox South, Great Park Road [map].
Local UKIP councillor and parliamentary candidate Ben Walker tweeted last night:
“Disappointed that travellers have decided to set-up in the Kerry Foods car park #BradleyStoke Hope the agents/business take action tomorrow.”
Last year, Cllr Walker was highly critical of South Gloucestershire Council’s (SGC’s) handling of two unauthorised traveller encampments on council-owned land alongside Bradley Stoke Way.
Following the end of the second encampment in August 2014, Bradley Stoke Town Council (BSTC) paid for three boulders to be placed across the access ramp leading to the Bradley Stoke Way site. Councillors also agreed to allow the grass on the site to grow long, to act as a deterrent against further encampments.
SGC’s policy statement on unauthorised traveller encampments states:
” The council will not generally intervene in respect of encampments on privately owned land and would expect private landowners to deal with these in accordance with civil law.”
Addressing a BSTC meeting last year, an SGC officer said that travellers generally tend to choose “out of the way” places to set up camp, adding that eviction can often lead to them moving to less desirable sites that are closer to residential properties.
Photo: Traveller caravans and other vehicles in the Kerry Group car park on Monday morning (23rd March).
Last 5 posts in General News
- "Disco effect" on-off street light issue could be caused by software fault - 13th January 2021
- Thousands of crocus bulbs planted to mark success of polio eradication project - 11th January 2021
- Covid-19 outbreak at Bradley Stoke primary school registers 62 positive cases - 22nd December 2020
- Bradley Stoke in Bloom autumn update - 16th December 2020
- Bradley Stoke scarecrow trail hijacked! - 7th December 2020